Monday, July 1, 2013

Ending Manic Pixie Dream Girl Syndrome

I found this article by Laurie Penny via Facebook, and I'm blown away. I was nerdy before it was cool so in some ways I could have been a natural fit for Manic Pixie Dream Girl, but I wasn't petite (or white?) and I'm also one of the most opinionated people on the planet; my natural state is arguing, and that's rarely anyone's fantasy anything Dream Girl.

Lucky me, because this does not sound like fun. I wouldn't want to be this person, and I don't want to write about this person either. That's why my young heroines are as far away from this type as possible.

And just to prove the aforementioned nerdiness... yeah, I'm slightly heartbroken about the Doctor Who criticism, but only because she articulates so well what's made me uncomfortable about the most modern companions.

Who do you want to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment